Stitchy McYarnpants

Confessions of a husband-neglecting, cat-shooing, yarn-hoarding knitaholic. But in a good way.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

~gasp~

cough . . . splutter . . . pblblblblllttttt

Phew! I’m just slipping my head out of my work-induced cocoon for a moment to let you all know that I haven’t pupated or anything yet. I’m still here! But before long, I’ll be emerging as a beautiful butterfly. It’s what makes this seclusion worth it. These long hours slaving away in the software mines is going to pay off big when I’ve sprouted wings and can fly away from the shackles of the computer. Why else would I be working so hard for this client who doesn’t seem to appreciate all of my and my co-workers excruciatingly endless hours of dedication to their satisfaction? Surely my cramped and hunched body will be left slumped over the laptop when I burst free with my exciting new look! Right?

What?

I’m not going to pupate? Well, then why did I think I was?

Oh! It’s because I’ve been working too much and have started to hallucinate from staring at the computer screen for 16 hours a day! Right! That would explain the tremors and overall oogyness and feelings of agoraphobia setting in. I’ve become a work hermit! My skin has become pale and thin. My eyes have adapted to the glow of the computer screen and my pupils have taken on a rather interesting swirling effect. My fingers are permanently bent for optimal mouse manipulation. My mind is a finely honed instrument, trained to think of nothing but work. Suddenly half a bag of Doritos is a sensible lunch. My cats have been lost under indistinguishable piles of both clean and dirty laundry, their muffled cries going unheeded. My husband has been assimilated by some sort of creature born of the stack of dirty dishes and he now insists on being referred to as MoldySinkCrud453. The dust bunnies have started growling for attention and my eyelids just fell off. Things at Chez Stitchy are dire.

But I did make a mitten! Lookee! I used Rowan’s Cashsoft Aran and I am smitten with this here mitten. It’s my first, so I’m inordinately pleased with it.


It’s so soft and rich-feeling, a bona-fide tactile delight. The other one is not far behind, these babies go quick. I’m using a 2-needle pattern from the 70’s and I really like it. There's a seam along the side, but you can't really feel it. Well, you can, but you can damn well ignore it, thankyouverymuch. I’m still eyeing the dpns with a little suspicion. I went to Patternworks over the weekend with my mom and mother-in-law (my dad waited very patiently in the car), and along with the Cashsoft, I picked up the instructional booklet about the Magic Loop method of sock-making. I got a set of size 7 Addi turbos to start with. They were out of 40” cables, so I got the 32”. I think they’ll work just fine.

I also started making Samus using the K1C2 Creme Brulee I got a Webs a while back. I wanted to do something a little more challenging, but not outrageous. I’ve been working so much lately that I haven’t been able to focus on anything really detailed. I thought this was a good start.


I’ve messed around a bit with cables, but this is the first real piece I’ll be putting them on, so I’m taking it easy. Slow and steady wins the race and all of that. So far, I’m loving it. I’m not good enough to do cables completely without the cable needle yet, but I’m also not knitting off it either. I’m sort of doing a hybrid of taking the stitches off the left needle with the cable needle and replacing them after I’ve grabbed the other stitches off the right needle, then knitting everything off the left needle. I find myself fumbling around a lot less. Eventually, I'll lose the cable needle all together and just go balls to the wall without it. Wooo! I live on the edge, babies.

The Clapotis is finished and it seems to have sprouted some sort of tenticular (that’s with an ‘n’, cheeky monkeys) appendage on the corner. I haven’t blocked it yet, so I’m still debating on whether to keep the ancillary arm and chalk it up to evolution or rip out the corner and even it out as best I can. What say you? Cosmetic surgery for the Clap or should I let its freak flag fly?


So, is anyone else sorely tempted to join The Yarn Harlot’s Knitting Olympics? I know Kellee is joining (she didn’t have to actually tell me, I just knew). I’m tempted, but I just don’t know if I can do that to my husband. He’s such a nice man, I would hate to put him through that.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and well wishes on my last post. (for a real "awwww" moment, look at one of the last comments on that post. It's from my dad. awwwwwww) I really look forward to seeing what 2006 will bring. It’s like that game show “Let’s Make a Deal”. I hope everyone picks the right door. But even if you don’t, who couldn’t use a new pet donkey? (do you think people actually got to keep their gag gifts. I mean, some people might really want a donkey.)

28 Comments:

Blogger jenifleur said...

"oogey"

I like it.

Yes, I'm doing the olympics. I'm also trying to bully other people into doing them, too. I want company at the rubber room motel when it's all over.

1/18/2006 08:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Daphne said...

Oh man. I'm just on the edge of tears actually trickling down after reading your dad's comment.

LOVE the mittens. Must run off for some Cashsoft asap now. All other WIPs be damned!

1/18/2006 08:10:00 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

My Clap had the wonky edge thing going on, too. I just pulled out the opposite edge and called it even.

1/18/2006 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

It's only 16 days - I'm sure hubby wouldn't mind!

1/18/2006 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

I'd leave the clap alone and it'll be fine. Good advice, right?

1/18/2006 11:10:00 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Block the Clap.

And I call my evil cat friends cheeky monkeys ALL THE TIME. Just sayin'.

1/18/2006 11:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I'm hoping that I pupate too - I think I'm working almost as much as you are, and I'm hoping it's worth it!
I never bothered to block my Clapotis and when I wear it it's kinda rolled up and draped and - bottom line - I don't think you'll notice the appendage in use.
And I'm tempted by the harlot, too (no suprise there). Just trying to decide what to attempt so that I'm challenged but actually have a prayer of finishing.

1/19/2006 09:35:00 AM  
Anonymous melanie said...

Let the Freak Clap Flag Fly, baby!

Love the mitten!

1/19/2006 09:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *just* finished my Clap and had a wonky tentacular thingy too the first time I wore it. Blocking took care of it and i'm even MORE in love with it now.

You know? Just go ahead and pupate. You'll feel better afterwards!

1/19/2006 09:44:00 AM  
Anonymous melanie said...

Tenticular. N. T.

1/19/2006 09:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Jackie said...

I hope it's not The Man I work for that's causing the hell that is your work life right now. Because not appreciating slave labor seems to be their specialty.

Also, I have joined the knitting olympics.

You know you want to.

1/19/2006 09:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Bookish Wendy said...

I think the Boston Bloggers should join the Knitting Olympics en masse. We can be each other's support system. Making sure that everyone is eating and hydrated. Presenting a measured eye when needed. It should not be left up to the husbands. Noooo, they will NEVER be able to rise to the occasion.

1/19/2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Martita said...

FREAK FLAG! FREAK FLAG!

1/19/2006 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Kellee said...

Oh yeah - all Olympics all the time at Chez Obsession!!

Who wants to come watch the opening ceremonies at my place?

1/19/2006 11:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Imbrium said...

Block that sucker. I'm guessing that the tentacle will disappear.

And you should totally join us in the Olympics...it'll be fun! Really! Ignore the men with the huggy coats!

1/19/2006 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

I saw someone else post a picture of he finished Clapotis with that tenticular appendage as well. I think she blocked it away. I wouldn't rip for it, consider it an evolutionary enhancement.

I say yes, more company in the padded room after we knit ourselves insane (well more insane) during the olympics!

1/19/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I agree with crazyfiberlady--the point will block out. That happens a lot with things that are knit on the bias, like dishcloths. It's a beautiful clappy!

1/19/2006 03:26:00 PM  
Anonymous eva said...

Your Clappy is beautiful! I don't think I would block it. It would lose some of its lovely ripply shaping.

Just my 2 cents.

1/19/2006 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger ErLeCa said...

My clapotis did the same thing. I blocked it and it went away, so I suppose it's up to you whether you want the freaky arm thingy or not.

Very cute mitten by the way!

1/19/2006 10:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

I'm doing the "Crochet Olympics" version because I'll be taking a crochet class during that period.

It's going to be insanity. I have no idea what would be challenging enough, yet I could finish it in sixteen days. Plus I haven't crocheted in over a year and barely remember anything.

And I really have to finish knitting my Tubey sweater before that class starts...aiee!

1/20/2006 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Boogie said...

seams can be ignored dammit - nice mitts.

Another vote for Freak Clap!

Come join us for the Knit olympics. the more the crazier, or something like that.

1/21/2006 08:48:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Very nice mittens, Stitchy! I too have a copy of a pattern from the 70's and the only thing at the top of the copy page is 'classic mittens' which has sizes for children, woman med. and man's med. Could this be the same pattern you used?

1/21/2006 09:48:00 AM  
Blogger Meem said...

I bet it'll straighten out a lil with blocking, but if not, wave that freak flag high!

1/21/2006 07:12:00 PM  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

I'm all for a little freakiness! Glad to know you finally made it out of your work coccoon and even managed to re-adjust to life in the "real world" enough to fit in a bit of socializing. Nice finally meeting you in person. :)

1/23/2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

Hi Stitchy!!! So glad I found your blog.It was great to meet you yesterday. Your pretty mittens must be soooo soft.

1/23/2006 01:57:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Also thinking that a bit o'blocking would take care of that wonky corner, but that no one would really notice the freak flag if you decided to leave it alone. It could be a secret rebellion kind of thing.

And your dad's message is the sweetest thing I've read in a long while.

1/23/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger traveling knitter said...

Love your progress on the Shamus...I love Cables in general...have you made any progress? The designer of Shamus is actually IN my knit group, she is a knitting goddess. I too am working on a clap...mine is not yet finished but I've passed the halfway mark.

3/08/2006 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger dfadf said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<2>
I was not shocked because this was old news -- practically ancient, in fact. In R. Microsoft Office Emmett Tyrrell, Office 2010 Jr.'s most recent book The Clinton Microsoft Office 2010 Crack-
Up, page fiv Office 2007 e, paragraph two, we learn that in Bill Clinton's "first four years out of the White H Microsoft Office 2007 ouse, he ea Office 2010 key rned over Office 2010 download $43 million Office 2010 Professional after
expenses... Microsoft outlook "
The next Outlook 2010 page directs Windows 7 us to Appendix Microsoft outlook 2010 I, a list of the conniving couple's fees for speeches and book royalties and other income. The first

11/05/2010 10:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home