Stitchy McYarnpants

Confessions of a husband-neglecting, cat-shooing, yarn-hoarding knitaholic. But in a good way.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Drive-By Posting

beep beep

Just had to pop in to say that I’ve been trying to post, but every time I get a second, something comes up. So I’m just going to do a lickety-split update for now.

1. Circles Salon in JP is offering a 10% discount to all Team Boston members for supplies used in their Olympic project. How cool is that?! And it’s 15% on the day of the Opening Ceremonies. And since we’re all going to meet at Doyles that night for our own opening ceremony, and it is right around the corner, well, we all know what has to happen. Last minute preparations are the best!

2. Mittens are finished and they’re faboo! Can’t wait to make more. They're made with Rowan’s Cashsoft Aran. I used a little over one ball of the color "Burst" and about half to three-quarters of a ball of "Oat". So now I have leftover yarn, which means if I buy a little more, I can make another pair. And if I have any of that left over, I'll just get a wee bit more and I'll just keep knitting aaand knitting aaand knitting aaand knitting aaand knitting.


3. Loooooook! With the kind and patient help of the adorably curvaceous Ms. Melanie, I am now fully qualified to operate dpns! Do you see any ladders? No, you don’t. She has taught me well and now I’m totally hooked on this sock thing! I know, it seems I’m always late to the party. Chloe here looks like she could use some socks, doesn’t she?


4. It would seem that Owen and Mzee have started the ball rolling and other creatures are joining in! Is this just a publicity stunt by the Union of the Snakes* to make themselves appear more likeable? Time will tell. Meanwhile, little “Meal” the hamster should probably sleep with one eye open, just in case.

5. Mike has requseted that I make him the cashmere pullover from Weekend Knitting. I tried to explain that it was a ladies sweater, but he would have none of it. He also would like me to make it from his own luxurious fur.


I’ve done my best to make this fur harvest as painless as possible.


6. I also want to chime in that I had a fantastic time at Claudia’s a week and a half ago, but I was remiss in posting my joy. It was a blast and Claudia is a super hostess. The food was amazing and my fellow guests were as delightful as ever. As promised, here is the recipe I used to make my mom’s brownies. They’re more like a dense chocolate cake. I feel like I have to say that, because they aren't what you'd expect when you say "brownies", but they're way more than you'd exect if you simply said "cake".


Stella’s Killer Chocolate Brownies

Mix in bowl:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda

Bring to boil in saucepan:
1¼ bars butter**
4 tbsp. cocoa (I used the Dutch Processes dark cocoa, and I used about five)
1 cup water

Add hot ingredients to flour mixture slowly, mixing constantly

Once they’re combined, add:
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla (but really, who can stop at one?)

Bank in 9x13 pan at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Frosting: (this also helps when you’re having a massive craving for fudge. You can whip up a little bit in minutes. Trust me.)

Melt:
¼ cup butter
4 tbsp. cocoa (again, just four, mom?)
7 tbsp (approx) milk
¾ box powdered sugar (add it slowly, mixing it in completely before adding more. Stop before it gets too dry. It should be shiny and goopy.)

Frost immediately while everything is still hot. That way, all you have to do is kind of pour the frosting on and smear it around a little. It will melt pretty smoothly over the hot brownies. Cut into small squares so it doesn't seem like you're eating that many.

**edited for our foreign, potentially metric-using friends. A bar/stick of butter = 1/2 cup = 8 tablespoons = 4 ounces = 113.3980925 grams. Here, check this out, a whole page just for butter conversion!! I'm going to marry the internet someday, I love it so.


*Yes, I was a big fan of Duran Duran, why do you ask?

19 Comments:

Blogger --Deb said...

Okay, that sounds REALLY yummy . . . I may have to try those!!

2/01/2006 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

WARNING! Once you start eating these brownies YOU CAN NOT STOP.

I truly think people should know this before going in.

Socks! Yeah!

2/01/2006 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

Thanks for the brownie recipe. They are indeed killer!

2/01/2006 10:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Leisel said...

So... any advice to share re: avoiding ladders? I do pretty well when I'm working w/ two circs, but even though I think I've identified the main source of my problem with dpn's, I can't totally get the ladders to go away.

You should send your pic of Chloe to stuffonmycat.com I don't think I've seen any knitting showcased there yet.

2/02/2006 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

thanks for the brownie/cake recipe -- joe's b-day is coming up and there's a chocolate cake recipe in martha stewart that scares me too much to try -- but this one i can do.

i'll tell him it's cake. he won't know the difference.

your infinity kick ass mittens are awesome

2/02/2006 07:17:00 AM  
Blogger ErLeCa said...

I love that you can just put a pair of unfinished socks on your cat and s/he'll just lay there, happy as can be! Even pose for a photo op. That's too funny!

2/02/2006 07:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Janine said...

Lovely mittens, glad you have creacked the DP's - I never use anything else, I've tried 2 circulars and magic loop and I always go back to DP's.
Great recipe just one question from hoe much is a bar of butter? it's not a measurement I have come across in the UK

2/02/2006 08:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Give me a moment here... I'm just remembering how soft those mittens were to touch. I love 'em!

Those were some good brownies, must make them myself now that I have the recipe.

2/02/2006 08:50:00 AM  
Blogger Martita said...

Maybe the snake is just trying to get Meal the Hamster to trust him, so he won't struggle so much and mess up the snake's digestion. I'm sorry, that was very cynical.

2/02/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

i love how you've calculated the butter to 7 decimal places.

precision is key

i love butter. you can marry the internet, i'll just marry butter

2/02/2006 12:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Imbrium said...

Those mittens are kickass. Totally kickass.

2/02/2006 01:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mothlady said...

Funny how that DD reference still rings a bell in an instant. Mmmmm. Definitely John.

2/02/2006 01:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Laurie said...

Thank you for the recipe! I didn't want to ask because of the family connection, and thought maybe you were holding it close to your chest. Yow! I'm a happy camper.

2/02/2006 09:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Dharma said...

Yummy mittens. Yummy brownie recipe. Yummy Duran Duran (ah. John. Your eyes pierced through to my soul making me hungry like the wolf. sigh. those were the days).

2/05/2006 01:29:00 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Hi! You may vaguely remember me from Crossroads Cafe, the one with the recently finished teal knee socks. I've taken the liberty of tagging you with the Four Things meme. I hope you don't mind.

You would publish that brownie recipe when I wore my blue jeans yesterday and (breathing shallowly) decided to replace chocolate with carrots.

2/08/2006 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

As painless as possible... Hah!

(Not looking at brownie recipe, not looking at brownie recipe...)

2/09/2006 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger The_Add_Knitter said...

LOVE the mittens, isn't that Rowan Cashsoft a dream? Nice work...

2/26/2006 08:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

11/17/2009 05:12:00 PM  
Blogger dfadf said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<2>
I was not shocked because this was old news -- practically ancient, in fact. In R. Microsoft Office Emmett Tyrrell, Office 2010 Jr.'s most recent book The Clinton Microsoft Office 2010 Crack-
Up, page fiv Office 2007 e, paragraph two, we learn that in Bill Clinton's "first four years out of the White H Microsoft Office 2007 ouse, he ea Office 2010 key rned over Office 2010 download $43 million Office 2010 Professional after
expenses... Microsoft outlook "
The next Outlook 2010 page directs Windows 7 us to Appendix Microsoft outlook 2010 I, a list of the conniving couple's fees for speeches and book royalties and other income. The first

11/05/2010 10:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home