Stitchy McYarnpants

Confessions of a husband-neglecting, cat-shooing, yarn-hoarding knitaholic. But in a good way.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Last Minute Olympic Decision

OK, I’ve finally decided what I’m making for the Olympics. Did you really expect me to decide before today? Seriously, I live for the last minute. And the 10-15 minutes after the last minute are pretty important to me, too. It’s the exact thing I knew I’d be making all along, but I didn’t want to settle on it right away. I wanted to explore my options, see what’s out there. You know, stretch the old needles beyond my boundaries a little.

See, I was toying with a few different ideas. A whole slew of mittens, a mountain of socks, a gorgeous lace shawl. But then I decided that I wanted to make something for my darling husband. I’ve been working really long hours over the past month or so (well, really for the past three years or so, since my current company was started.) and if you add knitting to that, well, poor Jon has been neglected for a while now. I feel terribly about it, so I thought if he was going to be neglected for at least another 16 days due to the Knitting Olympics, I should really make something for him. Jon is a really basic kind if guy. His color palette runs from green to grey. Maybe an occasional splash of dark red or blue here and there. The first sweater I ever made for him was Manly from Stitch ‘n’ Bitch. (He won the Hot Model portion of Drew’s ManAlong a while ago with that sweater.) The only change I made was that he didn’t want a stripe. Plain. He wanted it plain.

And so I looked hither and yon for a suitable sweater to make him. I pulled out a bunch of vintage mens’ pattern books, bookmarked the few mens’ patterns from my modern pattern books, and trolled the internet for something he’d like. Each one was a little bit not quite right. Turns out he’s not into cables, he’s picky about necks, doesn’t like weird texture, and just forget about a cardigan. Every time I showed him a sweater, he looked at his Manly (which he wears all the time) and said it just wasn’t as good. He loves that sweater even though it’s kind of small, the seams are a little wonky at the arm holes, and it doesn’t fit quite right because I knit it in the round rather than in pieces like it should have been. He calls it his sci-fi sweater because he wants to wear it in to the point of looking ratty and grimly futuristic. Then it will be perfect.

And so, because he has such love for this sweater, because no other can compare in his eyes, because I love him to bits, I will be making another Manly. Manly Redux! This time, I’m going to make it larger, make it better, make it stronger. This sweater is going to be bionic. And it’s going to be brown. Conveniently, I have two cones of the same yarn the original green one was made with, only in a nice tweedy brown. No stripe again, please.

I feel like it’s sort of a cheat because I’ve already made it and it’s pretty simple. But given the amount of time I’ve had lately, just getting this done in 16 days is going to be pushing it. I’m so looking forward to meeting up with Team Boston at Doyle’s tonight for the Opening Ceremonies. And I hope everyone else has fun plans tonight to kick this thing off. And I’d also like to thank Stephanie for starting this whole crazy thing in the first place. It’s just what we all need during the winter. Even if it is an unusually spring-like winter.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Imbrium said...

That is so sweet! You may think you're neglectful, but I think Jon's a lucky guy.

2/10/2006 01:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Rachel said...

Our husbands must get their fashion tastes beamed into their brains from the same source. My husband has conceded that the S&B manly sweater might be plain enough for him if I do it in a solid color. Preferably brown. It's not my Oympic project, but it's what's up next after the Olympics. Good luck!

2/10/2006 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like an excellent plan and definitely not cheating.

2/10/2006 02:07:00 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

It's not cheating when it's a challenge. And you've already said it's a challenge, so there you go.

2/10/2006 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Awwwwwww!

2/10/2006 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Dang. He's totally HOT. Okay, for YOU to get your gold, you have to post a pix of him in his new sweater!! PLEASE?!?!?!?!

2/10/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I consider it a challenge to knit the same pattern twice, so good for you! I'm such a slow knitter and I finish very few projects, so doing the same pattern again is galling when I have a whole collection that I've never tried.

2/10/2006 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

What a lovely thing to do to make your hubby a sweater you may not particularly enjoy kntting but that you know he'll love. Sounds like the perfect gift.

Love your blog!

2/11/2006 05:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Daphne said...

Knitting any man's sweater in 16 days would be a challenge for me, and my man has a nice 42" chest... just right, in my opinion, but way less intimidating than the 50" I was helping someone else with yesterday. Anyway, I like your solution!

2/11/2006 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Love Jon's sweater....heard I will be seeing you all next month. Ihave been working on crocheting an afghan for Ethan and handpiecing a quilt for me and Ernie...have to look up regulations for taking some of this on the plane with me

2/11/2006 03:46:00 PM  
Blogger JustApril said...

Men are funny aren't they? Mine has the weird neck issues, too, LOL
I can't wait to see the new Manly (now if you had a sweater named Laura y'all could run around playing Little House on the Praire together hehehehehe)

I love that you are assimilated, now hahahaha - funny b/c I have Star Trek references in my latest post, too - and I think I saw another one recently. We must all be missing Star Trek, lately =(

love, Seven of Nine - i wish =p

2/11/2006 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mini said...

Hey! check out my blog... i made good on your dare! :) It was great meeting you last night... hopefully I will see you again soon! :) signed the lease, the race is on: finish Dan's sweater, garner Olympic gold and pack two houses, one storage facility and move (oh and clean the "old lady" smell out of new apartment).
:) Kate

2/11/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Dharma said...

Hey, Olympiads go for a challeng, but not necessarily a new challenge, right?

Go for the gold, baby!

2/12/2006 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Ranger Susie said...

Still think it's a spring-like winter now that you've got 20 feet of snow on the ground? :)

It took forever to find a pattern my husband was willing to wear. He finally decided on Lucky from Knitty's Man issue.

Rock on, Stitchy!

2/12/2006 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous etherknitter said...

That's a great idea! Knitting a sweater in 16 days is still a significant challenge. And you are knitting it as a biathlete would.

2/12/2006 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hey, that sounds like a challenge to me! Go, sweater!

2/14/2006 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger cindy said...

Go...Stitchy....GO!

2/15/2006 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger dragon knitter said...

ok, woman, we need updates! how's it going?

2/17/2006 08:39:00 PM  
Blogger emy said...

Honestly if I were to knit my hubby a vest, I would need several Olympics to finish one as he's asking for it to be done in a 4ply or less!

2/23/2006 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger dfadf said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<2>
I was not shocked because this was old news -- practically ancient, in fact. In R. Microsoft Office Emmett Tyrrell, Office 2010 Jr.'s most recent book The Clinton Microsoft Office 2010 Crack-
Up, page fiv Office 2007 e, paragraph two, we learn that in Bill Clinton's "first four years out of the White H Microsoft Office 2007 ouse, he ea Office 2010 key rned over Office 2010 download $43 million Office 2010 Professional after
expenses... Microsoft outlook "
The next Outlook 2010 page directs Windows 7 us to Appendix Microsoft outlook 2010 I, a list of the conniving couple's fees for speeches and book royalties and other income. The first

11/05/2010 10:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home