Stitchy McYarnpants

Confessions of a husband-neglecting, cat-shooing, yarn-hoarding knitaholic. But in a good way.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Science Sweaters for Everyone!

I was digging through a pile of mail on my kitchen table the other day and found this postcard!



I don’t remember seeing it, so Jon must have taken the mail in at some point and failed to mention the postcard with the cute sheep and the giant yarn sale. I assumed it was from Webs or one of the million other places that taunts me with their delicious wool. Intrigued, I took a closer look.

Uuummmmm . . . wha . . .? What is this contraption all about? What is going on here? Some new way of spinning or dying or some other fiber-related activity that I haven’t spent any money on yet?



Oh! I see! It’s a whole new use that I never thought of! If I had a nickel for everyone who ever asked me, “Stitchy, I really need to separate the leukocytes from the peripheral blood, and the T-cells from the B-cells! But how? Isn’t there something that granulocytes and B-cells will stick to that the T-cells won’t? It’s just so maddening!”

Well, rest assured, my little bio-knitters, I’ve finally got a solution for you. Nylon wool! At $180 for 50g, it’s a little pricey, but won’t you feel better knowing that your new scarf has the ability to distinguish that peripheral blood from all the rest?



And as Charlene (who works in a lab) points out on this card she left in my mailbox, you could make a smashing sweater - a Science Sweater - with it! Thanks for the tip, Chuckles. See if you can genetically engineer some of those nylon sheep in miniature so they can live in our back yard.

And in more mundane, less bloody knitting news, progress on Jon’s new Manly sweater is excruciatingly slow. I had to rip almost an entire sleeve because I misread the directions and wonked it up something awful. I just started the second sleeve and was hoping to have it done for the weekend, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen.



We’re heading to Iowa for his grandmother’s 95th birthday on Friday (yes, this grandmother) and I’m whipping up a little something for her. I don’t think it’ll be finished for her actual party, but it could be finished before we leave a couple of days later. We shall see. A gift on the needles is still a gift, I always say. No photos of that yet since I’m not even sure exactly what I’m going to make yet, but it will be made of some pretty 50% wool and 50% silk that I picked up today at Necessities For Needlework in Westborough. It’s a great store and the owner is so friendly and helpful. It took me less than 5 minutes to find exactly what I wanted, I just asked for some silk/wool and she put the exact right yarn and colorway directly into my hand. It was actually such a welcome little break in my day. Usually I eat lunch at my desk and never leave the building during work, but I’m going to have to start making more trips out. I felt so . . . human . . . getting out into the sun (yes, March dangled some sun in front of me. I may be falling for it again) and discussing shawls with another customer who was in the shop. It was downright pleasant!

18 Comments:

Blogger Bookish Wendy said...

I do the same thing. Getting out is good. We need all of the sun we can get, especially in the winter when we are coming in before the sunrise and leaving after the sunset. It's amazing what it does for the spirit.

3/15/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

ooh, i have to go to that shop since i live pretty close to westborough. where is the shop?

anyway -- in honor of the man's grandma's birthday i say GO GRANDMA!!!

she's wicked cute for a grandma.

3/15/2006 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Kellee said...

Holy CRAP! They let you leave your desk for lunch!?! I'm SO jealous.

3/15/2006 11:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Imbrium said...

Sadly, the closest yarn store to work is about 29 minutes away...and I have an hour for lunch. *sigh*

I want a science sweater! I wonder how that nylon wool (!?!) feels.

3/15/2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

That's a whole new twist on the "yarn addict" angle.

3/15/2006 01:46:00 PM  
Blogger KathyMarie said...

I'm with Imbrium -- nylon wool sounds mighty suspect. Is it a trick, like that shiver-inducing steel wool?

I love that picture of your grandma-in-law. Adorable.

3/15/2006 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger pacalaga said...

That gramma rocks.
We should get her together with MY husband's gramma, who still likes to tell us stories about how she always won the "best rack" contests at the bars when she was a kid.

3/15/2006 02:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

I want to go to Iowa, I grew up there in Independence, near Waterloo and Cedar Rapids in the NE corner. Have a good trip!

3/15/2006 04:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

I love that yarn store. They have so much great stuff in there and they are super nice. Whenever I have an errand to do near there, I try to swing by.

3/15/2006 09:51:00 PM  
Blogger pelee said...

Because of an illness in the family, I actually understand the meaning behind the whole blood cell thing. The one place I never expected to see any reference to it was within the realm of knitting--wow. Congratulations on your foray into the lunchtime world and enjoy any future explorations!

3/16/2006 04:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am going to Iowa this weekend for a surprise birthday for my dad's 80th birthday on Friday! We will be in Waterloo, where will you be?
It's gonna be cold.

(Your blog has been making me laugh for a long time, at least back as far as the story of the cats with incriminating styrofoam peanuts.)

Julie

3/16/2006 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger benedetta said...

Stop talking immunology to me, there is a final test coming and I hate the stuff!

next time you drive into Necessities, first call me, and i'll join you; second, drive 200 yrd further to a store called Useful Things (at the rotary): she has the yummiest handspun yarn that I have seen in a long time, all spun by her right there and then. really worth investigating (but not on your lunch break, since she does not open until 3 pm).

3/17/2006 07:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Jeanne said...

Oh, man, grandma's too cool! - I'm going to wear hot pink with a big purple flower on top of my head when I'm old.

3/18/2006 06:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I want a Science Sweater!

Go, Grandma!

3/20/2006 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa P said...

Ooooo a science sweater. The geek knitter in me pjust perked up at that. :P

3/22/2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Shell said...

Go Grandma! I wish mine were anywhere near that cool, or breathing.

I'm already addicted to yarn, why not nylon wool. In a syringe no less! I'll be undecided until I actually get to work with the stuff.

3/22/2006 05:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stitchy,
You appear now to be advocating the seeking of ENJOYMENT during the meal breaks we must give you to comply with legislation.

It is most confusing to your co-workers to have you return from lunch relaxed and unwound, and most certainly is not the state we prefer our employees at this company.

Please cease this activity immediately and return to your former habits.

Your boss.

3/27/2006 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger dfadf said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<2>
I was not shocked because this was old news -- practically ancient, in fact. In R. Microsoft Office Emmett Tyrrell, Office 2010 Jr.'s most recent book The Clinton Microsoft Office 2010 Crack-
Up, page fiv Office 2007 e, paragraph two, we learn that in Bill Clinton's "first four years out of the White H Microsoft Office 2007 ouse, he ea Office 2010 key rned over Office 2010 download $43 million Office 2010 Professional after
expenses... Microsoft outlook "
The next Outlook 2010 page directs Windows 7 us to Appendix Microsoft outlook 2010 I, a list of the conniving couple's fees for speeches and book royalties and other income. The first

11/05/2010 10:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home