Stitchy McYarnpants

Confessions of a husband-neglecting, cat-shooing, yarn-hoarding knitaholic. But in a good way.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

It’s time for a Melanie update

I just spoke to Melanie and she sends her love to the interweb. Unfortunately, she is back in the hospital. She’s having some pretty serious post-pregnancy complications. She’s feeling fine right now and is being monitored closely. She has selected me as her Official Spokesperson. I wonder if I get a cool blazer with a badge that says “Melanie Action News Team – From her Uterus to You”. She wanted me to post an update since she won’t be able to do it over at her blog for at least a few days.

Here’s what’s been happening:

Last week, Melanie was admitted to the hospital with a very high fever. It was 104 degrees when she went to the hospital and topped off at a little over 106 a short time later. With Hydration IVs and a long sponge bath by her husband (unfortunately, not as sexy as it seems), it came down. It turned out that she had a massive infection from retained placenta left over from the second placenta she delivered. They didn’t diagnose this immediately because she wasn’t having any other symptoms besides the fever. There was none of the pain normally associated with it. She was given a D&C and had to stay in the hospital for a couple of days to be sure the infection was managed properly and that she was free of fever for a set number of hours. They found two types of common bacteria and were confident that the antibiotics would take care of them. She was sent home, feeling healthy and well.

Yesterday, she started to have some heavy bleeding. Enough that it freaked her out and made her call an ambulance. She went to the hospital, they checked her out, the bleeding stopped and I guess they chalked it up to being a result of the D&C. She wasn’t having any pain (again) or any other symptoms, so home she went. And then the floodgates opened. Like the elevator in The Shining, she was gushing blood at an alarming rate and took her second ambulance ride within a few hours of the last. She said the amount of blood was so much worse, that by comparison, she could have leisurely strolled to the hospital earlier that day. The had to transfuse her with 4 units of blood, gave her another D&C, and ended up removing a blood clot the size of a football.

Clearly, something is very wrong with our Ms. Melanie.

The doctors seem perplexed and have stopped sounding so sure that this is all due to retained placenta. But maybe it is. There is talk of this ordeal ending with a partial hysterectomy, so on the scale of deals, this is a Big one. But Melanie is very pragmatic when it comes to things like this and she’s not too traumatized at the thought of the partial hysterectomy. She said that it wouldn’t change her future plans too much because she didn’t want any more that two kids before, and she certainly doesn’t want more now. So while it’s not a great solution, if it happens, she’s ready to deal with it. She’s not looking forward to the recovery it will require, but at some point, it may be the only way to stop all this craziness.

When I last spoke to her, she seemed frustrated and tired, but still as sweet as ever. She’s as comfortable as you can be lying in a hospital bed while wearing a gigantic pad, not in any pain, and is wearing her badge of Medical Mystery with extreme grace. For the time being, the bleeding has stopped. Her mother and mother-in-law are now helping Dean at home with the babes, who are doing very well but miss their mum. She asked me to thank everyone for their well wishes and the many gifts she’s received. But she also wanted me to ask people not to send her more stuff because they don’t really have room for it in their little apartment, and I also think she feels a little badly that she’s not able to thank people the way she’d like to for all their kindness. But mostly, with one husband, two babies, and three mothers, there’s just not a whole lot of space. What she does love more than anything are emails and well-wishes on her blog. Now that her computer is up and running, she can access them and it really makes her smile to see the love in her Inbox or comments section. She said that through this whole thing, she can’t stop writing blog posts in her mind about it all. She’s a blogging champ!

When I know more about her condition or anything else she wants me to tell you about (maybe a really cute doctor for one you single folks . . .) I’ll let you know. She’s trying to stay on the down-low for this hospital trip, I really think it’s starting to wear on her and she just wants to chill out, so she asked that no one call her until she’s feeling more up to it. But by all means, send all the good vibes you can muster her way. She really appreciates all the support she gets from our amazing community here in blogland.

16 Comments:

Blogger Carole said...

Yowza. Thanks for updating all of this, Debby. While I've never met Melanie in person I feel like I know her through you and Wendy and Kellee. Please give her my best and I'll be hoping and praying for a speedy answer to all the questions and an even speedier recovery. The poor thing. She must have been scared to death.

4/06/2006 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the update. I've been gazing misty-eyed at Melanie's baby pix and had no idea what she's going through!

Since she doesn't need any more "stuff" I'll simply send her warm thoughts and prayers.

4/06/2006 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

Yikes! Thanks for the update, but . . . yikes!

4/06/2006 01:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

those placenta problems are so common, yet so secret. I had to have mine manually extracted by a midwife with (thankfully) tiny arms.

Please send her my best wishes for a speedy recovery. The plus side is she is getting out of some diaper changes.

4/06/2006 01:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Rebekah said...

Oh my goodness. That's all I have the ability to say, I went to her blog and left her some well wishes.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

4/06/2006 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger Shell said...

Hugs and well wishes to Mom and the babies. Take it as easy as you can.

4/06/2006 02:42:00 PM  
Blogger JustApril said...

My goodness! That's scary.

Are YOU dealing ok? I know when my friends are going thru trauma like this, it starts to affect me physically. (((hugs to you all)))

4/06/2006 03:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Kathy said...

Sending good thoughts that she'll be home soon and feeling much better.

4/06/2006 09:33:00 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

Oh, this scares me more than I can say....but thank you so much for the update.... and that Melanie, she's such a trouper! What a woman. A healthy hug to you, too...as someone else already said -- I know how hard it is on you, as her friend, too.

4/06/2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I don't know Melanie, but do read your blog so i'm sorry to hear about her problems. It must be so hard, not just the medical ones but being away from the babies. Will send her a lot of good wishes.

4/08/2006 09:32:00 AM  
Blogger Mintyfresh said...

I hope everything goes smoothly for Melanie!

I mostly just wanted to say hi; couldn't remember your email address.

4/08/2006 09:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

thanks for the update - I got out of the blog reading loop and will go leave her a comment over there.

(for the record, if a cute single intern/resident/doctor does suddenly become available, I'm more then happy to trek down for a night on the town...)

4/09/2006 09:32:00 AM  
Anonymous mamacate said...

Wow. I'm so sorry she's going through this. Having newborn twins and recovering from a twin birth is enough of job without repeated blood loss and ambulance trips, and...oh my gosh.

As for the medical mystery thing, I'm SURE someone has thought of this, but it might not be a bad idea to just sort of mention the words "placenta accreta" around an obstetrician and see what they say. Sometimes I'm shocked at the fact that based on my internet/infertility/high risk pregnancy medical training, I can think of things that the docs haven't.

Sending many warm healing thoughts, and hopes that things will get better, and that mama will be home and feeling great very, very soon.

4/10/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Kim P said...

Stitchy: you are a wonderful friend to Melanie. To Melanie: my thoughts and prayers are going out to you & family. Hope your recovery is a speedy one!! I'd e-mail but I don't have your e-mail. Take care & get well!

4/10/2006 03:19:00 PM  
Anonymous jerry said...

The poor thing. She must have been scared to death.

12/11/2008 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger dfadf said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<2>
I was not shocked because this was old news -- practically ancient, in fact. In R. Microsoft Office Emmett Tyrrell, Office 2010 Jr.'s most recent book The Clinton Microsoft Office 2010 Crack-
Up, page fiv Office 2007 e, paragraph two, we learn that in Bill Clinton's "first four years out of the White H Microsoft Office 2007 ouse, he ea Office 2010 key rned over Office 2010 download $43 million Office 2010 Professional after
expenses... Microsoft outlook "
The next Outlook 2010 page directs Windows 7 us to Appendix Microsoft outlook 2010 I, a list of the conniving couple's fees for speeches and book royalties and other income. The first

11/05/2010 09:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home